[Bi-users] Reboot of Bi login nodes on Monday October 31 at 17-18 CEST

Kent Engström kent at nsc.liu.se
Thu Oct 27 16:28:03 CEST 2016

Dear Bi Users,

last week we had to reboot things to install a kernel patched for
the critical "Dirty COW" Linux kernel vulnerability.

Alas, the patched kernel we used was not perfect. While it worked in
general and was not vulnerable, it caused problems with debuggers
(not working, hanging forever).

We now have an official kernel from CentOS that does not have this
problem. It has been rolling out to compute nodes since yesterday, but
we still have to schedule a downtime to update the login nodes and the
system server.

After discussions with Michael Kolax (Anders Höglund not available) we
have decided to try to get this done in a 17-18 CEST slot on Monday
October 31.

As usual, login node processes and interactive jobs will die, but batch
jobs should survive.

Best Regards,
--
Kent Engström, National Supercomputer Centre
kent at nsc.liu.se, +46 13 28 4444