[Dunder-users] tornado/dunder: smhi filesystems from monolith

Per Lundqvist perl at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jan 17 15:20:43 CET 2007

(This mail is only intended for the users from SMHI at tornado and
dunder, everybody else should ignore this mail)

The old smhi-filesystems on Monolith is now available from both Dunder and
Tornado while still being available from Monolith. Due to mismatching
numerical user id for the same user between these 3 clusters the ownership
will not be correct from all clusters. For example: user sm_doesc on
Monolith has the same numerical user id as sm_stran on tornado, giving
ownership of files belonging to sm_doesc to sm_stran from tornado)

 * For all smhi-groups at monolith, we have added a corresponding group on
   dunder and tornado, e.g. the group smhi on monolith is named
   monolith-smhi on dunder and tornado. So the group permissions will be
   correct and won't have to be changed.

But, if you need to have read access to the filesystem from tornado or dunder,
you/we will have to change either the group permissions (adding group read
and execute flag for folders and adding group read permissions for files)
_or_ (preferred) we will have to change the ownership (changing user id)
of the corresponding files and folders to the correct user.

Note: if changing ownership of the files(s) folder(s) so that it matches
the correct user on dunder or tornado, the ownership will be wrong from
Monolith - so we will only change this if you request it from us.

  * If (when) you need access to these files from Dunder or Tornado please
    send an e-mail to smhi-support at nsc.liu.se with the following content:

    1. Subject should be something like: change permissions on Monolith
       filesystem
    2. path(s) that should be changed (preferably your top folder at the
       one or more of the filesystems). We will apply the change
       recursively, changing all files and folder below the requested
       path.
    3. name of system the files should be available from (dunder or
       tornado)
    4. your username at dunder or tornado

  * The filesystem layout is as follows on dunder and tornado:

/nobackup/monolith/global11
/nobackup/monolith/global2
/nobackup/monolith/global3
/nobackup/monolith/global5