[Kappa-users] Planned maintenance 2012-02-07

Pär Andersson paran at nsc.liu.se
Fri Feb 3 13:08:37 CET 2012

Dear Kappa and Matter users,

* On Tuesday 2012-02-07 between 10:00-12:00 we will upgrade the resource
  manager software first on Kappa and then on Matter.

* The upgrade is expected to take 5 to 30 minutes per cluster. During
  this time job and queue commands like sbatch, squeue and sinfo will
  not work.

* The upgrade will not affect running or queued job if it goes as
  planned.

* We have performed several upgrades on test systems without any issues,
  and we believe that the risk of the upgrade is very low. However the
  worst case failure scenario is that running and/or queued jobs are
  lost.

The rest of this mail is technical details for those who are interested.

We will upgrade SLURM (http://www.schedmd.com/slurmdocs/) from version
2.2.x to 2.3.x The main reason for the upgrade is that version 2.2 no
longer receive bugfixes, and version 2.3 is the currently supported
stable version.

Besides bugfixes 2.3 contain several changes useful for us as systems
administrators. User commands only have a few minor changes, so most of
you will probably not notice any change. Complete release notes for
slurm can be found here:
https://github.com/SchedMD/slurm/blob/slurm-2.3/RELEASE_NOTES

Kind regards,

Pär Andersson