[monolith-users] News digest

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jan 29 13:42:50 CET 2004

Dear Monolith Users,

This is a digest of news items related to usage of Monolith. It is
sent to all users on Monolith via the e-mail-list
<monolith-users at nsc.liu.se>. Instructions on how to subscribe and
unsubscribe is listed at the end of this e-mail.

System Stability
=====================

We had only a few problems with Monolith during the last two
months and we had no system maintenance stops.

Planned System Stops
=====================

NSC has built a new computer room and we plan to move Monolith there
in the middle of February. This will probably give a downtime of
somewhere between five and ten days. On the positive side,
Monolith will get connected to a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
system, meaning that your jobs have a good chance to survive short power
interrupts, and will be running at a lower room temperature, meaning that
system hardware will probably break less often.

In the beginning of March we will probably make a second try to upgrade
our SCALI software, to get better performance, especially
in the initialization phase of ScaMPI jobs running on many nodes. This
maintenance stop will probably last for about 24 hours.

Gaussian 03
=====================

As we already has announced, we have installed Gaussian 03. To use or
test it, please update your $HOME/.modules file according to instructions
on URL

	 http://www.nsc.liu.se/software/chemistry/gaussian/index.html

NSC encourages you to change from Gaussian 98 to Gaussian 03 but will
still provide the old release.

To get more information about Gaussian 03, please visit URL

http://www.gaussian.com/g_brochures/g03_new.htm

New Intel Compiler
=====================

We have installed new versions of the Intel compilers. To use them or
test them, please use the module system:

	module unload intel; module load intel/8.0

The Fortran compiler has been profoundly changed, also in the name of
the compiler and the names of option flags. The new compiler name is
'ifort'. (The old name 'ifc' may still be used.) Please look for more
information about the compiler on URL
http://www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/flin/whatsnew.htm

Release notes and other documentation are located as files on Monolith:
- Fortran: /usr/local/intel/8.0/l_fc_p_8.0.034/doc
- C/C++:  /usr/local/intel/8.0/l_cc_p_8.0.055/doc

New Portland Group Compiler
=====================

We have also installed a new version, 5.0-2, of the PGI compilers. To use
them or test them, please use the module system:

	module unload pgi; module load pgi/5.0

Release notes and other documentation (Fortran and C/C++) are located
as files on Monolith:
/usr/local/pgi/linux86/5.0/doc

        Lennart Karlsson

NSC Support Team                              E-mail: support at nsc.liu.se
National Supercomputer Centre                       Phone: +46 13 281000
Linkoping University, S-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden      Fax: +46 13 282535