[Neolith-users] service-stop, removing all queued jobs 2008-07-01

Pär Andersson paran at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jul 3 12:05:50 CEST 2008

Dear Neolith Users,

Short version:

The service stop started 2008-07-01 08:00 and ended 2008-07-02 01:00.

We upgraded lots of software, if you are not interested in the details then
please skip the rest of this mail. Simply report any problems to
support at nsc.liu.se as usual, especially problems that was not present before
the service stop.

Long version:

I promised in my previous message that I would send out more detailed
information about the upgrades we performed, here is a list.

SLURM 1.2.27 to 1.3.4
The update from 1.2 to 1.3 includes several changes and I mentioned a few in
my initial announcement about this service stop. A complete list is in the
release notes, and also the man pages for sbatch and other slurm commands is
updated.
/usr/share/doc/slurm-1.3.4/RELEASE_NOTES

CentOS 5.1 to 5.2
CentOS is the Linux distribution used on Neolith. This upgraded the Linux
kernel and several other packages, release notes is availabele online.
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.2

OFED 1.2.5 to 1.3.1
The InfiniBand software stack including libraries and kernel modules. If you
have compiled programs that use lower level infiniband libraries like
libibverbs then this might affect your programs.
MPI-programs should continue to work as usual, we have tested that the
installed versions of ScaliMPI and OpenMPI still works as expected on this
stack.

Scali MPI 3.13.5 to 3.13.7
Minor bugfixes.

Other changes:
The amount of swap space on compute nodes was increased from 2 to 34 GiB. This
was necessary to work around bugs in a few popular applications like Gaussian
and VASP. The disk space was taken from /scratch/local so that file system is
now 190 GiB on every node.

Best regards,

Pär Andersson
NSC