[Snic-users] Unplanned power outage at NSC

Pär Andersson paran at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jun 23 12:54:29 CEST 2011

paran at nsc.liu.se (Pär Andersson) writes:

> Power went went away approximately 05:50 this morning. Power have been
> restored, and we have started to bring systems back online.
>
> More information will follow later.

Neolith have been running jobs since around 10:30.
Kappa and Matter have been running jobs since around 11:30.

All running jobs failed when power to the compute nodes was cut, so if
you had running jobs you will need to resubmit them.

Login nodes and servers in the clusters was kept online by UPS power and
have been available the whole time. (Compute nodes are also connected to
the UPS, but can only run on battery power for 4 minutes.)

According to the local newspaper the outage was caused by lightning,
affected 26900 customers and lasted for 13 minutes. Article in Swedish:

  http://www.corren.se/ostergotland/linkoping/?articleId=5686398&date=&menuids=

If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at support at nsc.liu.se
as always.

Happy midsummer!