[Snic-users] Default version of MKL change to match default compiler

Mats Kronberg kronberg at nsc.liu.se
Fri Mar 9 16:13:44 CET 2012

Dear Neolith, Kappa and Matter users,

Om Tuesday (2012-03-13) we will change the default version of Intel
MKL (http://www.intel.com/software/products/mkl/) from 10.0.4.023 to
10.3.6.233 (this is the version that is bundled with the current
default Intel compiler).

This change only affects new binaries compiled using the default MKL
module. Old binaries are not affected. All old versions of MKL are
still available through the module system.

A hint on using MKL:

Recent versions of the Intel compilers (starting with version 11)
supports the "-mkl" flag, which simplifies linking with MKL.

On NSC systems we recommend that you use the "-Nmkl" and "-mkl" flags
when linking against MKL.

Examples:

module add mkl
icc -Nmkl -mkl=sequential zconverters.c -o zconverters_seq
icc -Nmkl -mkl=parallel zconverters.c -o zconverters_par

To combine MKL and MPI:

icc -Nmpi -Nmkl -mkl=cluster zconverters.c -o zconverters_clu

Intel also provides a web page that can be used to help you find the
correct linker flags when using MKL:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor/

--
Mats Kronberg, NSC Support <support at nsc.liu.se>