[Tornado-users] Another out-of-memory incident on the login node of Tornado

Johan Raber raber at nsc.liu.se
Wed Dec 9 11:52:39 CET 2009

Dear Tornado users,

Those of you who decide to run demanding and/or untested programs on the
login node of Tornado really *must* stop doing this, as I will now yet
again need to reboot the login node because a user application has taken
too much memory. Irresponsible usage affect a *lot* of other users and I
can't sit and monitor usage all day. Reserve a node instead, the user guide
will tell you how.

I'm seriously considering locking user accounts for those I find who
regularly behave irresponsibly, and no, regular gzip, compilations and some
other stuff that can be taxing on the system (but transient) are not
examples of irresponsible behaviour. Running test code and exended heavy
matlab calculations are, however. I will kill such jobs on sight.

Should I decide to lock user accounts, the user will be notified beforehand
to have a chance to explain. I will *not* do this arbitrarily.

Anyway, after this rant, the reboot will happen at sometime between
12:00-13:00.

Regards,
Johan

--