[Triolith-users] Reboot of Triolith login nodes Thursday and Friday at 14:30 CEST

Mats Kronberg kronberg at nsc.liu.se
Wed Oct 26 15:15:58 CEST 2016

Dear Triolith users,

The login node "triolith1" will be rebooted tomorrow (Thursday October
27nd) at 14:30 CEST.

The login node "triolith2" will be rebooted on Friday (October 28th)
at 14:30 CEST.

Logged-in users will be logged out. Running and queued batch jobs will
not be affected. Running "interactive" jobs using that login node will
be terminated.

While one login node is rebooted, the other will be available, and new
SSH and ThinLinc sessions will be sent to the other node. So if you're
logged out at the times given above, just login again and keep
working.

Details:

We need to reboot the Triolith login nodes to apply an important
security update (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_COW). We
installed a temporary fix earlier that made the system secure, but the
temporary fix had the unfortunate side-effect of making some (all?)
debuggers stop working, so we really want to install the official fix
(which seems to work better with debuggers) as soon as possible. The
official fix was not available yesterday, otherwise we would of course
have done this update during the service stop.

The compute nodes will receive the same update between jobs. All jobs
started after 15:00 today run on updated nodes (so logging in and
debugging a running job should work for recently started jobs).

--
Mats Kronberg, NSC Support <support at nsc.liu.se>