[Vagnekman-users] Re: Information about Ekman service windows during the next two to three weeks

Daniel Ahlin dah at pdc.kth.se
Mon Aug 3 13:12:19 CEST 2009

Hi Ekman users

A new information update regarding the CPU replacement:

The current status of the upgrade is as follows:

a) Replacement of the current AMD Opteron 2354 CPUs with AMD Opteron 2374HE

    230 nodes upgraded (see below)

b) Upgrade the OS version of the nodes from CentOS 5.2 to CentOS 5.3

    Finished.

c) Update of all relevant firmware.

    Finished.

d) Replace /cfs/testscratch with a new access path for the cluster-wide
scratch filesystem (more details will follow).

    Finished - the new accesspath is: /cfs/ekmanscratch
                    /cfs/testscratch will be available as a link to
/cfs/ekmanscratch for a month or two _but it will be
                    removed_   so please start updating your scripts.

Due to delays in delivery of the CPUs the update schedule will be revised as
follows:

All replacements will be carried out between 17/8 and 21/8. We will make an
effort to keep as many nodes as we can available during the upgrade but
there may be as few as about 230 nodes available during that period (these
230 nodes were upgraded the last week).

Also - Please note that from now until all nodes has been updated Ekman will
contain nodes with two different CPU's. We expect the performance difference
to be very small but you should still be aware that there may be some. If
you want to know the cpu version on the node you are running on you can
always do:

grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo | sort --unique

Regards,
Daniel Ahlin
PDC