[Vagnekman-users] Configuration change of the login node

Michael Schliephake michs at kth.se
Mon Nov 15 22:34:49 CET 2010

Dear Users,

today we had a problem with memory overuse on the login node. Therefore we established here limits which showed helpful already on other systems like Ferlin.

All user processes are limited now to

  * 10 minutes of CPU time
  * 8 GByte RAM, th.i. 50% of the machine RAM.

So it should be not so easy to bring the login node in an unstable state.

The consequence is that some resource hungry things you may have done before on the login node will not work longer. For example can this be a compilation of a large source file with the Inel compiler and  IPO (inter procedure optimization) turned on.

Please use for these works a node which you acquire with the help of easy. The use of dedicated nodes will disturb other users much less.

If it is desired we could also establish one or two interactive nodes where you can login without a job submission.

Best regards -- Med vänlig hälsning

Michael Schliephake
--
KTH Royal Institute of Technology
PDC Center for High Performance Computing