[Vagnekman-users] Usage advisory of the login node on Vagn

Johan Raber raber at nsc.liu.se
Fri Oct 1 10:26:18 CEST 2010

Dear Vagn Users,

During the recent meeting with your user representatives it came up that
as of late (last month) the interactive response of the login node has
felt sluggish to some users and also there has been a dissatisfying
number of crashes due to its usage. For a few weeks now, the login node
has been taken out of the batch queue which should ameliorate these
issues to an extent. In this context, remember that you are sharing this
resource and load will be high at times. However, please be aware that
your usage of the login node affects many other users. Take a look at
how many on a typical day by issuing the command "w". I will hate to
have to start policing the login node usage.

The login node can be used, but responsibly and with measure. For
instance Matlab is a fickle beast when it comes to consuming computer
resources, please be very careful with its use on the login node or we
will eventually be forced to consider drastic measures, such as not
allowing access to it on the login node.

A few (impertinent, I know) advisories:
* If you note extraordinary sluggishness on the login node, or indeed
any problem on any node, please report it immediately to
vagnekman-support at snic.vr.se. Remember to mention specifics if you can
such as node, time of day, job id and output from diagnostic commands
(top, ps, vmstat etc.) not to mention which system (Vagn or Ekman) it
concerns, we are not psychics.
* Use the "share" partition (as in "interactive -p share" for instance)
unless you are absolutely sure you need an entire node's resources. In
my unscientific sampling (~5) of noshare jobs I have only seen single
processor jobs running. This is a serious waste in my opinion.

Best Regards,
Johan Raber -- NSC support