[Vagnekman-users] Quotas are now enforced on the Vagn /home file system

Johan Raber raber at nsc.liu.se
Fri Apr 15 12:16:56 CEST 2011

Dear Vagn Users,

The Vagn /home filesystem was filling up extremely rapidly since the day
before yesterday and this has led to problems with our backups working
round the clock, not to mention that a completely full /home would bring
all users work to a screeching halt.

The home file system is not intended to be used the same way
/nobackup/vagn{1,2}, but is only a personal space for files that
absolutely need backup. In no way is it acceptable for one person to lay
claim to half of the ~7 TB shared by all users in the Vagn /home
directory.

As a consequence we are now enforcing quotas on /home and the limits are
pretty generous by any measure, a 200 GB soft quota and a 400 GB hard
quota. The soft quota has a grace time of seven (7) days while the hard
quota is a brick wall type limit which will give you an I/O error when
your try to exceed it.

You may use the "nscquota" command to view your current quotas and space
usage on the GPFS file systems on Vagn, i.e. /home and
/nobackup/vagn{1,2}. Also there are files called diskinfo.* under
/nobackup/vagn{1,2} and /home which contain a lot more information about
your space usage.

Best Regards
Johan Raber

--