[Vagnekman-users] Software News for Ekman

Michael Schliephake michs at kth.se
Sun Dec 4 22:21:06 CET 2011

Dear Users,

I would like to inform you about several news with respect to available
software on Ekman:

   1. Intel-MPI on Ekman
   2. AMD Core Math Library on Ekman

1. Intel-MPI on Ekman
=====================

Last week has been installed the latest release of Intel-MPI Version 4.0
Update 3. The module name is: intelmpi/4.0.3

This release contains also the more recent Hydra process manager with
extended possibilities to define the process mapping compared to the
traditional application start with the mpd daemons. Don't hesitate to
contact me in the case that your are interested in it and need support for
it.

With respect to the performance: The performance of Intel-MPI is over wide
ranges of message lengths similar to MVAPICH2 1.7 that is also available
on Ekman.

MVAPICH makes use of an improved implementation for communication between
MPI processes within a single node. I had informed you about this library
in the previous news mail. The overall performance of MVAPICH2 1.7 is
therefore higher than for Intel-MPI. To see a simple benchmark you could
look at

   http://www.pdc.kth.se/~michs/operation/notes.html#mvapich2-intel

2. AMD Math Core Library (ACML) on Ekman

ACML is an implementation of BLAS and LAPACK especially for AMD
processors. The PDC webpage provides usage information

http://www.pdc.kth.se/resources/software/installed-software/libaries/lapack

Again, don't hesitate to contact me in the case interest or need for
support.

The performance of the BLAS routines is very good. For a benchmark of
DGEMM please look here

   http://www.pdc.kth.se/~michs/operation/notes.html#acml-ekman

Best regards,
Michael Scgliephake