[Bi-users] Deprecation of .forward files on Bi

Kent Engström kent at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jun 9 11:27:41 CEST 2016

Dear Bi Users,

SHORT VERSION

Tomorrow, we will stop using .forward files on Bi. Instead, email to
your local email address will be forwarded to the email address
registered in our NSC Express user database. If this affects where your
email is forwarded you will get a separate email.

LONG VERSION

On Bi, we have used .forward files to make sure that email sent to your
local email address on the cluster gets forwarded to your real email
address. This is used for example when you ask SLURM to send emails
about jobs starting and finishing.

When creating your user, the email address from NSC Express was put
there. Later changes in NSC Express will not have changed the .forward
file but you have been able to change it yourself.

Based on the very small number of users who have used the possibility to
change .forward themselves and our desire to make sure that updated
information in NSC Express is automatically used on the clusters, we
have decided to use the latest email address from NSC Express without
involving .forward files.

Tomorrow, we will implement this change on Bi and remove the .forward
files. As stated above, the few users whose .forward disagress with the
information in NSC Express will get a separate reminder email.

--
Kent Engström, National Supercomputer Centre
kent at nsc.liu.se, +46 13 28 4444