[Bi-users] Two-factor authentication for Bi

Kent Engström kent at nsc.liu.se
Wed Dec 1 10:22:40 CET 2021

Dear Bi Users,

as we told you in the beginning of November in the last email, today we
have enabled two-factor authentication ("2FA") on Bi, using the same
method we are already using for our academic clusters Tetralith and
Sigma: TOTP, a six-digit time-dependent code you get from an app
(typically on your smartphone).

First, let us tell you when you will *not* have to use two-factor
authentication:

- You will not have to use it when you login to Bi from SMHI. This
  includes the SMHI VPN.

- You will not have to use it when you login to Bi from ECMWF, or from
  the login nodes on Stratus and Cirrus.

This means that you will use two-factor authentication only when you
login from home, on travel etc and do not use the SMHI VPN, and when
you login from other clusters, servers etc outside of SMHI using your
normal SSH key or password.

You can read more about the two-factor authentication at:
https://www.nsc.liu.se/support/2fa/

The page most relevant to existing Bi users is:
https://www.nsc.liu.se/support/2fa/migration/

Best Regards,

--
Kent Engström, National Supercomputer Centre
kent at nsc.liu.se, +46 13 28 4444