[Bi-users] Reminder: Retiring filesystems rossby20, smhid13 and fouo6

Fredrik Nyström freny at nsc.liu.se
Thu Jun 16 15:30:42 CEST 2022

Dear Accumulus storage users,

this is a reminder about rossby20, smhid13 and fouo6 being retired on
June 30 2022.

Today we have also updated rsync from 3.1.2 to 3.2.4 on Bi login nodes.

- Default checksum method is xxhash instead of md5, higher throughput
  and less cpu usage. Up to ~3 times faster depending on bandwidth to
  storage, <30% gain on Bi due to network and to a certain degree I/O
  bottlenecks.

- Default compression method is zstd instead of zlib. You should not
  use compression (-z or --compress) when both source and destination
  are local paths, but doing so by mistake and getting zstd will not
  incur any performance penalty. zlib on the other hand will cap out
  at less than 33MB/s and consume lots of cpu.
  Note that when using rsync over ssh, both server and client need to
  have support for zstd, otherwise zlib will be used and this will most
  likely be slower than without compression. You can check for
  available hash and compression methods with "rsync --version".

When you restart rsync after downtime on Tuseday June 12, please do not
use rsync with the "-c" option unless you know the implications.

Example: Interrupted after copying half of a 100TB file tree with
compression ratio 1.5 on Lustre servers. Restarting rsync with "-c",
rsync will then verify checksums for all files it has already copied,
on both source and destination before it resumes copying files. In this
case it means reading 150TB of data over network before resuming.

Kind regards / Fredrik

--
Fredrik Nyström, National Supercomputer Centre
freny at nsc.liu.se