[Gimle-users] Open MPI, Intel MPI and TotalView

KentEngström kent at nsc.liu.se
Mon Feb 22 13:53:45 CET 2010

Dear Gimle Users,

let us tell you about three recent improvements of the Gimle
environment:

OPEN MPI
========

We have recently installed an updated version of Open MPI on Gimle,
version 1.4.1, which is the latest stable one. As we have found no
problems with it we have made it the default now, instead of 1.2.5 which
was the default until today.

This means that you get version 1.4.1 if you do a plain
"module add openmpi". To get the old default version, you will now
have to use an explicit "module add openmpi/1.2.5-i101011".

Please remember that when using the NSC compiler wrappers (-Nmpi etc.)
and mpprun, it is the MPI module loaded when compiling that determines
what version is used when running the program. The information needed to
remember all of this is encoded into the binary and may be displayed
using the "dumptag" command.

For the adventurous among you, there is also "openmpi/1.5a1r22661-i101011"
compiled with "--enable-mpi-threads". That should be regarded as a test
version, which may be removed or replaced in the future.

INTEL MPI
=========

We have also added support for Intel MPI to the NSC compiler wrappers
and mpprun.  Just use "module add impi" instead of loading Scali MPI or
Open MPI to get the current default version of Intel MPI.

TOTALVIEW
=========

Finally, we have installed the TotalView parallel debugger (see
http://www.totalviewtech.com/products/totalview.html) on Gimle.
See http://www.nsc.liu.se/systems/gimle/#totalview for more
information.

--
Kent Engström, National Supercomputer Centre
kent at nsc.liu.se, +46 13 28 4444