[Krypton-users] New Accumulus Filesystems, Retiring Old Ones

Peter Bortas zino at nsc.liu.se
Fri Sep 5 14:38:54 CEST 2014

Dear Accumulus storage users,

NOTE: We are about to retire some old storage servers in a month. Read
this mail carefully to make sure you don't lose data when that happens.

After a prolonged testing period we are today making three new
filesystems available:

   /nobackup/fouo4       (Has been available this week to get some testing.)
   /nobackup/rossby18
   /nobackup/smhid11

Anyone currently using the older filesystems are free to use these
effectively today. If you do not have a user directory for some reason
contact NSC support <smhi-support at nsc.liu.se>.

The oldest of the Accumulus filesystem servers will now be retired in
a months time (Monday October 6th). So any data you have on the
following filesystems that you want to keep will have to be copied
before 2014-10-06 or be permanently lost:

    /nobackup/fouo1
    /nobackup/rossby14
    /nobackup/smhid7
    /nobackup/smhid8

We encourage you to only copy data that you need to keep.

Our recommendation is to use an interactive node when copying to keep
the login node from being swamped with file copying that prevents
normal work.

Our recommended tool for copying large volumes of files is rsync, so
that copy jobs can be resumed if they are interrupted for some reason.

Note that if you copy files with something that tries to preserve the
exact filesystem attributes you might get the warning "setting
attribute `lustre.lov' for `lustre.lov': Invalid argument". This does
not affect you data and can be ignored.

If you need help with instructions on how to copy files feel free to
contact NSC <smhi-support at nsc.liu.se>.

Regards,
--
Peter Bortas <zino at nsc.liu.se>