[Neolith-users] FYI: Short unplanned outage on the Neolith login node (neolith1)

Mats Kronberg kronberg at nsc.liu.se
Tue Apr 27 17:48:24 CEST 2010

Just FYI: the Neolith login node (neolith1 a.k.a neolith.nsc.liu.se) was
unavailable from ~16:10 to 16:25 CEST today.

Details:

During the afternoon, we were investigating a disk performance problem
on neolith1. At 16:10 CEST accessing the shared storage (/home,
/nobackup/global, /software) on neolith1 went from being slow to totally
unresponsive, making it impossible to login or to any meaningful work.

Short-term fix: at 16:25 we rebooted neolith1.

Long-term fix: We'll extract whatever information is in the logs about
the disk problem and try to prevent it from happening again.

No running or queued jobs were affected. No filesystem data was lost.
Everything should now be back to normal.

--
Mats Kronberg, Systems Expert
NSC, National Supercomputer Centre
Email: support at nsc.liu.se