[Neolith-users] Neolith, Kappa and Matter downtime 2011-11-22 00:00-23:59 CET

Mats Kronberg kronberg at nsc.liu.se
Thu Nov 3 14:34:11 CET 2011

Dear Neolith, Kappa and Matter users,

On Tuesday November 22nd (2011-11-22) the NSC systems Neolith, Kappa
and Matter (including the login nodes) will not be available.

The main reason for this downtime is to expand the available space on
the /nobackup/global file system, and to do some changes (for better
performance) to the nobackup file system that require the whole system
to be shut down.

We will also use this downtime to perform various upgrades and changes
to our clusters that cannot be performed during normal operations.

The downtime for Neolith, Kappa and Matter will start at 00:00 CET
(midnight between Monday and Tuesday). We have scheduled the whole day
for this, but will of course try to keep the actual downtime as short
as possible.

Queued jobs that have such a long walltime that they cannot finish
before the downtime will not be started. E.g 7 day jobs cannot start
if there are less than 7 days remaining before the stop.

If you need to run jobs in the week before the downtime, you might
need to shorten your jobs.

Jobs that are in the queue before the downtime will remain in the
queue, and will be started normally after the downtime.

Hint to low-priority projects: short jobs will find it easier than
usual to run in the days immediately before downtime, as they don't
have to compete with longer jobs.

Kind regards,

--
Mats Kronberg, NSC Support <support at nsc.liu.se>