[SGI3k-users] SGI3K new compiler and OS "features"

Torgny Faxen faxen at nsc.liu.se
Thu Feb 5 14:51:21 CET 2004

 Dear SGI3K user,
with the new software environment we have discovered a couple of "features" that you
might find useful:

1)  If you use the "time()" function you might find that your can not compile the code any longer.
     We have received the following information back from SGI regarding this issue:

     Function time() is a extension to Fortran standard (see 5.1.6. of MIPSpro Fortran Language
     Reference Manual, Volume 2).  To use the function time(), we need a "external time".
     So the  following program works with both 7.3.x and 7.4.x compiler:

           external time
           integer  time
           write(6,*) time()
           end

     This is indicated in TIME(3F) man page in SYNOPSIS section.  In 7.4, a time interface has been
     implemented as intrinsic and that causes the compile problem.

2) Extensive interactive compilations sometimes crash with the following error message:
    f90 ERROR:  /opt/MIPSpro/MIPSpro/usr/lib32/cmplrs/be died due to signal 30

    This error message occurs when you have used up the 10 minutes of interactive CPU-time that
    is allowed for each login. For some reason, the new operating system is much more effective
    when picking up interactive cpu-time. You can check the status of  your current session with the:
     "jstat -l"
     command, and look at the  "cputime" line.

     To avoid getting this error message, please use the batch system for large compilations.

   Torgny Faxén
   National Supercomputer Center
   Linköping University
   S-581 83 Linköping
   Sweden

   Email:faxen at nsc.liu.se
   Telephone: +46 13 285798 (office) +46 13 282535  (fax)
   http://www.nsc.liu.se