[Snic-users] Neolith/Kappa/Matter: possible slow performance and/or unscheduled stop during weekend

Mats Kronberg kronberg at nsc.liu.se
Wed Nov 23 16:49:09 CET 2011

Status update for Kappa, Matter and Neolith:

Short version: Kappa, Matter and Neolith will be unavailable until at least
sometime tomorrow, but possibly longer than that if we run into more
problems (several days if we are really unlucky). We still believe that
only a small number (150) of files are damaged on /home. As far as we can
tell, the /nobackup/global file system is not affected.

Details:

We are working in parallel on two options to restore the /home filesystem:

Plan A: Repair the /home file system with assistance from the file system
vendor.

Plan B: Restore data from tape backup and/or the existing file system onto
new disks.

Plan A depends on assistance from the file system vendor (whose development
team is located in the US, so we will probably not hear from then until
later tonight). If successful it could restore the systems to normal
operation tomorrow (probably not before lunch as we probably want to run
some tests on the repaired file system before starting to use it).

Plan B is in progress (we have been restoring files from tape and copying
files from the damaged file system since yesterday evening). We estimate
that this option could result in a useful /home file system tomorrow.

regards,

--
Mats Kronberg, NSC Support <support at nsc.liu.se>