[Vagnekman-users] New(ish) Resource Manager on Vagn

Johan Raber raber at nsc.liu.se
Wed Oct 27 11:38:15 CEST 2010

Dear Vagn Users,

Yesterday we upgraded the resource manager SLURM from the de facto
unmaintained v. 1.3 to v. 2.1. At the same time we replaced the
scheduler Moab with SLURM's own scheduler to reduce the complexity of
the software stack. This change should be mostly transparent to you but
for the lack of certain commands related to the scheduling of jobs.
Notably "checkjob" and "showq" are not available anymore, but their
functionality have been replaced by the SLURM command "squeue".

The upgrade of RM also resulted in a change in default behaviour of the
job submission commands, for example "interactive" and "sbatch",
mirroring changes in how the RM now works. Previously the switch "-N X"
, where X is the number of nodes, to "interactive" (likewise for sbatch)
would give you all cores on the requested nodes. This switch will now
give you only ONE core per requested node. To get all cores you will now
have to also specify "--exclusive", "-p noshare" or "|--ntasks-per-node=8".

The user guide at URL http://www.nsc.liu.se/systems/vagn has been
updated to reflect these changes.|

Best Regards,
Pär Andersson and Johan Raber -- NSC support