[Bi-users] Welcome to Bi

Kent Engström kent at nsc.liu.se
Wed Mar 11 10:20:42 CET 2015

kent at nsc.liu.se (Kent Engström) writes:
> Dear New Bi User,

Some information about Bi:

IMPORTANT - you may need to change sbatch/interactive commands where you
want a single node:

- If you use sbatch/interactive without any "-N" or "-n" at all, you get
  the smallest possible allocation. On Krypton, that is a full node and
  all its memory (like "-N 1"). On Bi where nodes can be shared between
  jobs, it behaves like "-n 1", giving you 1 core and 4G of memory.

- So, if you want a full node, state "-N 1" explicitly.

Read more about node sharing and memory limits at
https://www.nsc.liu.se/support/batch-jobs/bi/ under "Node Sharing".

>From our last email:

> *** NEWSFLASH *** We just discovered that you may have the wrong default
>   account set so that you request fat nodes by default instead of normal
>   nodes.  If that is the case for you, use "-A" to sbatch/interactive to
>   request your normal account (e.g. "-A rossby", "-A sm_fouo", "-A sm_a"
>   etc) until we have fixed this.

This was fixed the same day. You should now only be required to use -A
if you can run under more than one SLURM Account (e.g. both rossby and
sm_fouo).

Finally, a small change we've made since we made Bi available is that
"module avail" now use another output format by default, so you can see
the full module name. You also do know that you can use tab completion
on module names if you use the BASH shell (our default), don't you?

Best Regards,

--
Kent Engström, National Supercomputer Centre
kent at nsc.liu.se, +46 13 28 4444